Fun Facts About Puerto Rico
- Christopher Columbus sailed from Spain in his second voyage and discovered Puerto Rico on November 19, 1493.
- The official name of Puerto Rico is the “Commonwealth of Puerto Rico”, a United States’ unincorporated (not legally organized) territory. This means, Puerto Rico is not a country of its own.
- The capital of Puerto Rico is San Juan.
- Puerto Rico is often referred to as Isla del Encanto – the Island of Enchantment.
- There are over 270 miles of beaches.
- Puerto Ricans generally greet their family and close friends with a kiss on the cheek.
- Puerto Rico has its own little mascot – a little tree frog which is known as The Coqui, pronounced as “Koh-kee”.
You must try these amazing recipes from Puerto Rico. It’s all about the plantain in Puerto Rico – but I also included one of my favorites (and challenging) recipes….flan!
There are some great causes that can help to support Puerto Rico. Check out these awesome opportunities: